Knocking/popping sound from B-pillar/driver door

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by Progress, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Progress

Progress New Member

This is a cross-post from VWVortex.

2007 GTI 6MT 108K miles

Hi guys, I have been noticing a strange sound that normally comes when I begin moving from a stop or apply the brakes. I also sometimes hear it when the car goes over undulating surfaces. I do not hear it going over bumps nor do I hear it at speed. It does not sound like the suspension and I notice it most coming from the driver side door, sometimes toward the driver, sometimes closer to the B-pillar or rear door.

I've had the subframe bolts replaced thinking that would do it but no joy. I also had my resonator replaced because it was cracked at the midpipe and though that needed to be done, it didn't affect this sound.

I took a video and tried best to record the sounds. It almost sounds like someone banging at the sheet metal.

Any ideas?

2. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Sheet metal is flexing and popping in and out? Not sure what would cause that. Has the car been involved in an accident on that side? Excess corrosion in the area?

3. Progress

Progress New Member

Thanks. I'm wondering if there is something moving around in the door. The driver door lock switch doesn't work. It also seems to vary based on temperature. It's strange but doesn't bother me that much...yet.