MK6 GTI euro switch trigger wire

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by g3tbrnsd, May 31, 2018.

1. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

Does anyone have experience installing these? I installed a euro switch a few months ago and then ordered the trigger wire so I could run just the city lights but I'm not confident about installing it

2. MKVImike

MKVImike Member

It's relatively simple. The most trouble I had was actually sourcing the correct wire, and ended up purchasing from Schmitt's VW after some trial and error. This video was also helpful - An uncomfortable job for sure, but definitely worth it.
    Have you installed LED Euro tails?

3. JKaczor

JKaczor Well-Known Member

I actually just did this last week. There’s actually 2 trigger wires you have to run from the switch to the CECM, and you have to switch two pins on the CECM in order to get the fogs (front and rear) to work correctly along with a bit of coding. There’s a good thread about it on golfmk6.com. I’ll dig it up and post it here.

4. JKaczor

5. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

Haven't gotten LED tails but that's on the list. My main goal right now is to be able to run just fogs and to be able to run just city lights. But I bought the wire from uro tuning I beleive so it should be the correct wire

6. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

7. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

So I have done a little research on this before. Most of what I read said you have to disable the DRLs, however I have upgraded mine to LED so I don't want to do that. Somewhere, I found information that led me to believe if I get the trigger wire hooked up correctly, I can run the city lights on their own while maintaining the DRLs funtionality otherwise. But I'm assuming literally just hooking up the wire won't work? Will I still need to find someone with vag-com to code it?

8. JKaczor

I believe if you run that one trigger wire for the city lights (if I’m not mistaken it’s pin 3 on the euro switch to pin 17 on the black connector for the CECM) then you should be good without any coding. From what I understand, if your DRL’s are not disabled, they will be on with the switch in the off position. So then the parking light position on the euro switch will turn on all of your lights with the exception of the low beams. You should be able, at which point, to turn on your fog lights without the low beams being on.

9. JKaczor

I THINK you shouldn’t have to do any additional wiring or coding if you do not plan on running a rear fog.

10. MKVImike

MKVImike Member

I'm not sure how to get those two specific functions, especially if you want to keep DRL functionality. Seems like a lot to fit into 1 additional switch position.

11. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

Thank you. I'm gonna try just hooking up the wire and see what happens.

At this point I'm going to prioritize the city light functionality I think.

12. JKaczor

There’s actually 2 additional switch positions lol. When I did it I had to run two trigger wires as well as switch 2 pins on the CECM, along with code everything. It was a bit of a process.