The never ending door jam ice damage.

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Related' started by Jonathan Starch, May 22, 2018.

1. Jonathan Starch

Jonathan Starch Golf Guy

Just wanted to hear if anyone has had experience with this issue. Had this fixed on my mark 5 only to have the same issue again.... and now here we go again with the mark 6. Working with basil for the last 3/4 months on the issue. Clearly a design flaw but the least they could do is cover it under the the rust warranty. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. Jonathan Starch

Jonathan Starch Golf Guy

Sent them this and I’m hoping it will help. Clearly a known issue. [​IMG]

3. lorge1989

lorge1989 Posting- God

Yeah that is certainly unacceptable.

Jonathan Starch likes this.
  4. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

I had a mk5 with that issue and it was the same thing, just kept coming back. I'm sad to hear it's an issue on the mk6 too

5. Jonathan Starch

Jonathan Starch Golf Guy

For the mark 6 they wedged in a few pieces of foam in the corners and called it fixed I guess. It’s been a headache and has already cost me around $1000 from the Mark five days. I’ll pay for a repair I won’t however pay for another bandaid. I’m not very fond of crawling through my trunk to avoid further damage. The doors get so jammed with ice that by the time you know it’s there, it’s usually too late.

6. g3tbrnsd

g3tbrnsd Member

It's incredibly dissapointing that this issue spanned 2 generations (at least) and they still don't have a clear fix. I'll be keeping a close eye on it on my mk6

7. Deathproof

Deathproof Well-Known Member

The rust on my mk6 is so infuriating I will be selling it this summer. Sad because I love driving the car and have it set up with every mod I want. I'll be out over $15k over the last 4 years between depreciation and mods. If the body held up better I would just keep having fun with it because it will cost very little from here on out to run.

I guess I could look at it that I would have spent that leasing something for $300/mon for 4 years and I had more fun this way. But it is frustrating that I love the car and it looks like shit. I don't don't want to shell out $5k for body work and paint on a car not even worth $7k.